MSc Neuroscience header image

MSc Neuroscience

at The Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience, King's College London

About the Institute and its location

Watch the video

featuring

Claire Troakes
Claire,an MSc Neuroscience student who returned to the Institute after her PhD, is now the  MRC Brain Bank co-ordinator.
Doris Stangl
Doris completed the MSc Neuroscience programme in 2008 and then studied for her PhD in the Department of Neuroscience.
Paul Oladimeji
Paul, who completed the MSc Neuroscience in 2009, has now finished his PhD at Cranfield University.
Some of the Class of 2009-2010 in the Small Lecture Theatre, where the part-time students received their Fundamental module lectures.

In 1908, Dr Henry Maudsley offered £30,000 towards the establishment of a hospital for treatment of mental illness and for research and teaching in psychiatry; a similar amount from the London County Council enabled the Maudsley Hospital to be built. Dr Mott (later Sir Frederick Mott), director of the County of London Asylums Laboratory, who had put forward the idea 12 years earlier, moved his laboratory to the new hospital in 1914 and became its first director. Although the laboratories were functional, the hospital was immediately requisitioned for use by the Army during the First World war and was not released until 1923. Shortly afterwards, the laboratory and hospital became the Maudsley Hospital Medical School of the University of London.
At the end of the second world war, during which time the hospital and laboratories had relocated to various sites around London, Dr Aubrey Lewis was appointed to the Chair in Psychiatry and the University of London created a new school, the British Postgraduate Medical Federation (BPMF). Three years later in 1948, the Maudsley Hospital Medical School joined the BPMF as the Institute of Psychiatry. In the same year, the Hospital joined forces with the Bethlem Royal Hospital, which had moved to Beckenham in 1930 from what is now the Imperial War museum (Bethlem in 1896), to form a joint teaching hospital in the new National Health Service.
The Institute moved into the main building (see street view image) in 1967 and since that time other buildings have been built as it has continued to expand. The Henry Wellcome building, which is adjacent to the main building opened in 2001 and accommodates most of the Psychology department. The MRC Centre for Social, Genetic and Developmental Psychiatry moved into its new building in 2002, the neuroimaging researchers into the Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences (CNS) and, in 2007, some members of the Department of Neuroscience moved into the Centre for the Cellular Basis of Behaviour within the James Black Centre.

In 2014, the Departments of Neuroscience and Clinical Neuroscience merged into the Department of Basic and Clinical Neuroscience and the Institute itself was renamed the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) after the bringing together of neuroscientists from the MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology and the Wolfson Centre for Age-Related Diseases (CARD) at the Guy's campus into the Institute. In the summer of 2015, the neuroscience laboratories in the main Institute building and the James Black Centre moved into the new Maurice Wohl Clinical Neuroscience Institute.

About its location

The Institute is located on the South side of De Crespigny Park (see map) in Camberwell. The road, a turning off Denmark Hill, is named after Claude Champion De Crespigny, a Huguenot (French Protestant), who left France with his English wife in 1685 to escape persecution following the Edict of Fontainebleau, also known as the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They lived in Champion Lodge, in what is now Champion Hill where Champion Hill Residence, the nearest College accommodation, is located. Part of their estate's Northern boundary wall can still be seen in Love Walk (see image on right). The estate included the present day Ruskin Park, named after John Ruskin who lived in the area for about 50 years from the early 1820's. Denmark Hill is thought to be named after Prince George of Denmark, husband of Queen Anne, who came to the area to hunt during the late 17th and early 18th centuries. He stayed in a house on the site of the Fox on the Hill, and kept his hounds nearby on Dog Kennel Hill.