Dr Kim Wolff PhD
Reader in Addiction Science & Post Graduate Education
College Head Post Graduate Taught Studies
|contact this person|
|tel||0207 848 3703|
|address||Room 5.10, Waterloo Bridge Wing, 150 Stamford St, London, SE1 9NH|
|location|| Rm 5/10|
Cornwall House, Waterloo Bridge Wing
Kim Wolff is a Reader in Addiction Science and Postgraduate Education at King’s College London. Kim is based in the School of Biomedical Sciences (Institute of Pharmaceutical Science). This is a part time position for Kim who also has a central role in the College being responsible for Post Graduate Taught Programmes across at King’s.
Kim’s main research interest is concerned with pharmacological aspects of addiction. She has explored the pharmacokinetics of the opioid agonist methadone in heroin dependent addicts including those who have become pregnant whilst prescribed the drug. A particular interest is in the effects of methadone in pregnancy and she is currently involved in a study to explore ventilator responsiveness, chemoreceptor sensitivity and arousals in infants exposed to methadone in utero in collaboration with Professor Greenough and colleagues in the School of Medicine.
Her research portfolio also includes investigation of the physiological effects of 3, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) use in a clubbing environment, in particular ecstasy-induced changes in water homeostatic measures. Individual differences in the metabolism of MDMA (CYP2D6 metaboliser status) and COMT rs4680 genotype have been shown to have an influence on various physiological phenotypes.
activities and interests
I have 5 PhD students investigating opioid dependence in pregnancy; methadone PK-PD studies; ecstasy profiling and; craving in co-dependence with alcohol and methadone.
I am happy to receive enquiries and new applications from interested individuals
As College Head of Post Graduate Taught Studies my role is to work collaboratively with academic Schools to ensure that King’s has an attractive portfolio of postgraduate programmes that are able to recruit high quality students
Chair PGT Forum
Member College Education Advisory Group
PGT representative on College Education Committee
As Head of Postgraduate Taught Studies Dr Wolff will be located in the Graduate School and will take responsibility for the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) and will seek to work with key individuals in Schools in order to enhance the PGT portfolio and the student experience.
Having undertaken leadership roles Dr Wolff has an in-depth understanding of College governance structures, initially as Chair of the College Admissions Committee and latterly as Chair of the College Assessment Board. Dr Wolff currently sits on the College Education Committee and is well placed to provide a voice for PGT programmes
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS:
1. Hazarika P, Jickells SM, Wolff K, Russell DA. (2010) Multiplexed detection of metabolites of narcotic drugs from a single latent finger mark. Anal Chem. 2010 Nov 15;82(22):9150-4. Epub 2010 Oct 22
2. Igboekwu J & Wolff K. (2010) Methadone maintenance therapy and feto-maternal outcomes of pregnancy. Heroin Addict Related Clin Prob; 12(4):17-22
3. Poulopoulos C & Wolff K, (2010) Staff perceptions about stress and staff burn out in Drug Treatment Organisations: A comparative qualitative study in Greece and the UK with implications for training. Therapeutic Communities Journal 2010;31(3)
4. Groucher E, Kicman A, Smith N, Wolff K Jickells S (2010) Hydrophilic stationary phases; a practical approach for the co-analysis of compounds with varying polarity in biological matrices. Journal of Separation Science 33 (6-7); 955-965
5. Boland, W, Mitcheson, L, Wolff, K. (2010) Lhermitte’s sign, Electric shock sensations and high dose ecstasy consumption: preliminary findings. J Psychopharmacology 24; 213-220: OnlineFirst Feb 24 2009 (Impact Factor 4.06).
6. Buisman-Pijlman F, Loos M, Wolff K, White J. (2009) New online international masters of science in Addictions Studies: A joined effort to improve learning and access to training. Drug Alcohol Review 28A7-A7
7. Senbanjo R, Wolff K, Marshall EJ, Strang J. (2009) Persistence of heroin use despite methadone treatment: poor coping self-efficacy predicts continued heroin use. Drug & Alcohol Review 28, 608-615: DOI: 10.1111/j.1465-3362.2009.00064.x
8. Gross, SR., Wolff, K, Strang, J and Marshall, EJ (2009) ’Follow-up of Provision of Inpatient Treatment for UK Healthcare Professionals with Alcohol Dependence: Snapshot of a Pilot Specialist National Health Service’, Substance Use & Misuse, 44: 13, 1916 — 1925, DOI: 10.3109/10826080902961609.
9. Robson NH, Bond AJ, Wolff K, (2008). Adverse reaction to nicotine gum. J Smoking Cessation. 3 (2) 144-147 DOI 10.1375/jsc.3.2.
10. Robson NH, Bond AJ, Wolff K, (2008). Adverse reaction to nicotine gum in a Malay female smoker: A case report. International J Ment Health Addiction, 6:564-567.
11. Hazarika P, Jickells SM, Wolff K, Russell DA. (2008) Imaging of latent fingerprints through detection of drugs and metabolites, Angewandte Chemie International Edition 47 (52): 1067-1070
12. Jacob S, Jickells S, Wolff K, Smith N. (2008) Drug Testing by Chemical Analysis of Fingerprint Deposits from Methadone-maintained Opioid Dependent Patients Using UPLC-MS/MS. Drug Metabolism Letters. 2:245-247.
13. Rao T, Wolff K, Marshall J (2008) Alcohol use in older subjects: a prevalence study comparing English and Irish day centre residents living in the UK, J Substance Misuse, 13 (1): 17-26.
14. Haskew M, Wolff K, Dunn J, Bearn J. Patterns of adherence to oral methadone: implications for Prescribers. J Substance Abuse Treatment In press September 2007.
15. Senbanjo, R, Wolff, K, Marshall JE (2007). Excessive Alcohol Consumption is associated with reduced Quality of Life among Methadone Patients, Addiction 102, 257-63 (IP 4.24).
16. Wilkinson C, Dyer KR, Mitchell T, Ilett KF, Wolff K. (2007) A novel matrix for therapeutic drug monitoring in methadone maintenance patients. Are oral fluid methadone levels useful? Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 29, 481-482.
17. Chong MS, Wolff K, Wise K, Tanton C, Winstock A, Ennis M, Silber E. (2006) Cannabis Use in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis,
12 (5), 646-651
18. Wolff, K, Tsapakis, EM, Winstock, AR, Hartley, D Holt, D, Forsling, ML, Aitchison KJ. (2006) Vasopressin and oxytocin secretion in response to the consumption of ecstasy in a clubbing population, J Phychopharmacology, Special Edition, 20, 400-410.
19. Wolff K & Winstock (2006) Ketamine: From medicine to misuse. Review Article, CNS Drugs, 20:199-218
20. Wolff K, Boys A, Hay AWM, Raistrick D. (2005) Changes in Clearance during Pregnancy, Euro J Clin Pharmacol, 61:763-768. Online publication available October 29 2005
21. Tsiboukli A & Wolff K (2003) Using Focus group interviews to understand staff perceptions from training in the Therapeutic Community Model. J Drug Education, 33:143-157.
22. Tsiboukli A & Wolff K (2003) Staff Training in Greek Therapeutic Communities for Drug Addicts. International Journal for Therapeutic & Supportive Organisations, 24:63-76
23. Wolff K. (2002) Characterisation of Methadone Overdose: Clinical considerations and the Scientific Evidence, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 24; 457-470.
24. Winstock A, Wolff K, Ramsey J. 4 –MTA (2002): A new synthetic drug on the dance scene. Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 67; 111-115.
25. Tacke U, Wolff K, Finch E, Strang J (2001). The effect of tobacco smoking on subjective symptoms of inadequacy ("not holding") amongst opiate addicts in methadone maintenance treatment. Addiction Biology, 6; 137-145..
26. Winstock AR, Wolff K, Ramsey J. (2001), Ecstasy Pill Testing: Harm minimisation gone too far. Addiction, 96; 1139-1148.
27. Aitchison KJ, Jann MW, Zhao J, Sakai T, Zaher H, Wolff K, Makoff AJ, Collier DA, Kerwin RW, Gonzalez FJ. (2000) Clozapine pharmacokinetics studied with CYP1A2 knockout mice. Journal of Psychopharmacology, 14, 353-359.
28. Wolff K, Banbery J, Raistrick D. (2000) Dihydrocodeine; A useful tool in the detoxification of methadone maintained patients. Journal of Substance Misuse Treatment, 19, 301-305.
29. Wolff K, Rostami-Hodjegan A, Hay AWM, Raistrick, Calvert R, Tucker GT (2000). A drug prediction technique for methadone treatment. Addiction 95, 124-131.
30. Wolff K, Farrell M, Marsden J, Monteiro RA, Ali R, Welch S, Strang J (1999). A review of Biological Indicators of Illicit Drug Misuse, Practical Considerations and Clinical Usefulness, Addiction, 94, 1279 -1298.
31. Rostami-Hodjegan A, Wolff K, Hay AWM, Raistrick D, Calvert R, Tucker GT. (1999) Population pharmacokinetics in opiate users: characterisation of time-dependent changes. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 47, 974-986.
32. Wolff K, Welch S, Strang J. (1999) Specific laboratory investigations for assessments and management of drugs problems. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 5,180-191.
33. Wolff K, Strang J. (1999) Therapeutic drug monitoring for methadone: scanning the horizon. European Addiction Research, 5, 36-42.
34. Sherlock K, Wolff K, Hay AWM, Conner M. (1999) Analysis of illicit ecstasy tablets: implications for clinical management in the accident and emergency department. Journal of Accident & Emergency, 16, 194-197.
35. Sherlock K, Hay AWM, Wolff K, Conner M. (1999) Validating the Consumption of MDMA (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine in an examination of the behavioural effects of "ecstasy" amongst recreational users. Addiction Research 7, 1, 47-62.
36. Strang J, Bearn J, Farrell M, Finch E, Gossop M, Griffiths P, Marsden J, Wolff K. (1998) Route of drug use and its implications for drug effect, risk of dependence, and health consequences: Review Drug and Alcohol Review 17, 197-211.
37. Wolff K, Rostami-Hodjegan A, Shires S, Feely M, Hay A, Calvert R, Raistrick D, Tucker GT. (1997) The pharmacokinetics of Methadone in healthy subjects and opiate users. British J Clinical Pharmacology 44:325-334.
38. Wolff K, Garretty D, Hay AWM. (1997) Micro-extraction of commonly abused benzodiazepines for urinary screening by liquid chromatography. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 34:61-67.
39. Garretty D, Wolff K, Hay AWM, Raistrick D. (1997) Benzodiazepine misuse by drug addicts. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 34:68-73.
40. Wolff K, Hay AWM, Harrison K, Raistrick D. (1996) Non-prescribed drug use during methadone treatment by clinic- and community-based patients. Addiction 91:1699-1704.
41. Wolff K, Hay AWM, Sherlock K, Conner M. Contents of Ecstasy. (1996) Lancet 346: 1100-1101
42. Raistrick D, Wolff K, Hay AWM. Methadone treatment and tuberculosis treatment. (1996) British Medical Journal [Lesson of the week] 313:925-6
43. Wolff K, Hay AWM. (1994) Plasma methadone monitoring with methadone maintenance treatment. Drug & Alcohol Dependence 36:69-71.
44. Wolff K, Hay AWM, Raistrick D, Calvert R. (1993) Steady-state pharmacokinetics of methadone in opioid addicts. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 44: 189-194.
45. Wolff K, Sanderson MJ, Hay AWM, Barnes I. (1993) Evaluation of the measurement of drugs of abuse by commercial and in-house horizontal thin layer chromatography. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 30: 163-168.
46. Wolff K, Hay AWM, Raistrick D, Feely M. (1993) Use of very low-dose Phenobarbital to investigate compliance in patients on reducing doses of methadone. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 10: 453-458.
47. Wolff K, Hay AWM, Raistrick D. (1992) Plasma methadone measurements and their role in methadone detoxification programmes. Clinical Chemistry 38: 420-425.
48. Wolff K, Hay A, Raistrick D. (1991) High-dose methadone and the need for drug measurements in plasma. Clinical Chemistry 37: 1651-1664.
49. Wolff K, Hay A, Raistrick D, Calvert R, Feely M. (1991) Measuring compliance in methadone maintenance patients: Use of a pharmacological indicator to ’estimate’ methadone plasma levels. Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 50: 199-207.
50. Wolff K, Sanderson M, Hay A, Raistrick D. (1991) Plasma methadone concentrations and their relation to drug dosage. Clinical Chemistry 205-09.
51. Wolff K, Shanab M, Sanderson M, Hay A. (1990) Screening drugs of abuse; the effect of heat-treating urine for the safe handling of samples. Clinical Chemistry 38: 908-10.
52. Wolff K, Sanderson M, Hay A. (1990) An in-house HPTLC method for screening drugs of abuse. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 27: 482-88
last updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011