Dr Daniel Stahl
|contact this person|
|tel||+44/(0)20 7848 0309|
|fax||+44/(0)20 7848 0281|
|address||Dept of Biostatistics|
Institute of Psychiatry
Kings College London
De Crespigny Park
London SE5 8AF, UK
Daniel Stahl studied biology at the University of Tübingen (major: animal and human behaviour). He did his PhD on food competition in captive sooty mangabeys (an African primate species) at the German Primate Center , Göttingen, Germany and Yerkes Primate Center, Atlanta, USA. Afterwards he decided to specialize in statistics in behavioural sciences and studied "Biometrics for Scientists" at the Mibeg Institute, Tübingen. Since then, he worked as a statistician, first at the Research Unit for Wildlife Population Assessment, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of St. Andrews and then at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (Departments of Developmental Psychology and Primatology). In January 2006 he joined the Department of Biostatistics and Computing.
activities and interests
Secretary of the German Primatological Society from 2006-2009
Royal Statistical Society
International Biometrical Society
Methodology Research Group of the UK Mental Health Research Network
German Primatological Society
International Primatological Society
|Lecturer||Clinical Psychology ( DClinPsy ) » Doctorate|
List of articles, technical reports and book chapters
(51) Cella, M, Stahl, D., Reme, S.R. and Chalder, T. (accepted) Therapist effects in routine psychotherapy practice: an account from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Psychotherapy Research
(50) Annika Patzelt, Dietmar Zinner, Gisela Fickenscher, Sarany Diedhou, Becaye Camara Daniel Stahl and Julia Fischer (accepted) Group composition of Guinea baboons (Papio papio) at a water place suggests a fluid social organisation. International Journal of Primatology
(49) Bundy, Helena, Stahl, D and Maccabe, J.. (submitted) A systematic review and meta-analysis of the fertility of patients with schizophrenia and their unaffected relatives. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica.
(48) Angélica M. Claudino, Frederique Van den Eynde, Daniel Stahl, Tracy Dew, Manoharan Andiappan, Judith Kalthoff, Ulrike Schmidt and Iain C. Campbell (accepted) Repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation reduces cortisol levels in bulimic disorders Biological Psychiatry.
(47) Brooks, S., Prince, A., Stahl, D., Campbell, I. and Treasure, J. (accepted) A systematic review and meta-analysis of cognitive bias to food stimuli in people with disordered eating behaviour’
(45) Micali,N., Simonoff,E., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (accepted) Maternal eating disorders and infant feeding: maternal and child mediators in a longitudinal general population study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
(44) Demjaha, A., Valmaggia, L.R. Stahl, D. Byrne, M. and McGuire, P.K. (submitted) Symptom dimensions in the At Risk Mental State predict subsequent transition to psychosis. Schizophrenia Research.
(43) Geangu, E., Benga, O., Stahl, D., Striano, T. (in press). Individual differences in infant’s emotional resonance to a peer in distress. Self-other awareness and emotion regulation. Social Development
(42) Paloyelis, Y., Stahl, D. and Mehtha, M.A. (2010) Are steeper discounting rates in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder specifically associated with hyperactivity-impulsivity symptoms, or is this a statistical artefact? Biological Psychiatry
(41) Davies, H., Schmidt, U, Stahl, D. and Tchanturia, K. (2010) Evoked facial emotional expression and emotional experience in people with anorexia nervosa. International Journal of Eating disorder.
(40) Guevara, C., Blain, C., Stahl, D., Lythgoe, D., Leigh, P.N., and Barker, G. (2010) Quantitative magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging and tissue segmentation in Parkinson’s disease, progressive supranuclear palsy and multiple system atrophy. European Journal of Neurology 17,1193-1202.
(39) Owens, S.F., Picchioni, M.M., Rijsdijk, F.V., Stahl, D., Vassos, E., Rodger, A.K., Collier, D.A, Murray, RM, Toulopoulou, T. (2010) Genetic overlap between episodic memory deficits and schizophrenia: results from The Maudsley Twin Study. Psychol Med. 12:1-12.
(38) Van den Eynde, F. Claudino, A. M. Campbell, I, Horrel, L., Andiappan, M., Stahl, D. and Schmidt, U. (2010) Cardiac safety of repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation in bulimic eating disorders. Brain Stimulation
(37) Kempton, M.J., Stahl, D., Williams, S.C. R. and DeLisi, L.e. (2010) Progressive lateral ventricular enlargement in schizophrenia: a meta-analysis of longitudinal MRI studies. Schizophrenia Research.
(36) Freeman, D., Brugha, T., Meltzer, H., Jenkins, R., Stahl, D., & Bebbington, P. (2010). Persecutory ideation and insomnia: findings from the second British National Survey of Psychiatric Morbidity. Journal of Psychiatric Research.
(35) Geangu, E., Benga, O., Stahl, D., Striano, T. (2010, in press). Contagious Crying Beyond the First Days of Life. Infant Behavior and Development.
(34) Sánchez-Ortiz, V.C., Munro. C., Stahl, D. , House, J., Startup, H., Treasure, J., Williams, C. and Schmidt, U. (2010) A randomised controlled trial of Internet-based Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for Bulimia Nervosa in a student population: identifying and treating the ‘iceberg’ of unmet need. Psychol Med. 21, 1-11.
(33) Toulopoulou, T., Goldberg, T., Picchioni, M., Rebollo, I.M., Rijsdijk, F. , Stahl, D. Cherney, S., Sham, P., Faraone, S., Tsuang, M., Weinberger, D., Seidman, L. and Murray, R. (accepted) Impaired intellect and memory, stepping stones between genetic risk and schizophrenia. Submitted to Archives of General Psychiatry.
(32) Van den Eynde, F.. Claudino, A., Mogg1, A. Horrell1, L., Stahl, D. Ribeiro, W., Uher, R., Campbell, I. and Schmidt, U. (accepted) Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation reduces cue–induced food craving in bulimic disorders.
(31) Ganesalingam J, Stahl D, Wijesekera L, Galtrey C, Shaw CE, Leigh, N.P. and Al-Chalabi. A. (2009) Latent Cluster Analysis of ALS Phenotypes Identifies Prognostically Differing Groups. PLoS ONE 4(9): e7107. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0007107
(30) Sepulveda, A.R., Todd, G., Whitaker, W., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (in press) Expressed Emotion in Relatives of Patients with Eating Disorders Following a Skills Training Programme: An Exploratory Study. International Journal for Eating Disorder.
(29) Ecker, C., Stahl, D., Daly, E., Johnston, P., Thompson, A. and Murphy, D. (2009) Is there a common underlying mechanism for global age-related decline
in cortical thickness? NeuroReport, 20(13), 1155-1160.
(28) Fraser, O.N., Stahl, D. and Aureli, F. (2009) The Function and Determinants of Reconciliation in Chimpanzees . International Journal of Primatology. DOI 10.1007/s10764-009-9377-7
(27) Stahl, D, Parise, E. Hoehl, S and Striano, T. (2009) Eye contact and emotional face processing in 6-month-old infants: advanced statistical methods applied to event related potentials. Brain and Development. DOI: 10.1016/j.braindev.2009.04.001
(26) Lupton, M., Stahl, D., Archer, N., Foy, C., Poppe, M., Hollingworth, P., Williams, J., Owen, M. J., Dowzell, , K., Abraham, R., Sims, R., Brayne, C. Rubinsztein, D., Gill, M., Lawlor, B., Lynon, A., Lovestone, S., Powell1, J. P. (2009): Occupation and Retirement Age Effects on the Age of Onset of Alzheimer’s Disease. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry
(25) Reid, V., Stahl, D. and Striano, T.: (2009) The presence or absence of older siblings and variation in infant goal directed motor development. International Journal of Behavioral Development
(24) Winkley, K., Ismail, K., Stahl, D., Chalder, T. and Edmonds, M. (2009) Quality of Life in People with Their First Diabetic Foot Ulcer A Prospective Cohort Study. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 99(5), 406-414
(23) Prince, A. C., Brooks, S. J., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (2009) Systematic review and meta-analysis of the baseline concentrations and physiologic responses of gut hormones to food in eating disorders. Am J Clin Nutr 89: 755-765.
(22) Lopez, C., Tchanturia, K., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (2009) Weak Central Coherence in Eating Disorders: A step towards looking for an endophenotype of eating disorders, J Clin Exp Neuropsychol: 31(1), 117-25.
(21) Craig, M.C., Fletcher, P.C., Daly, E.M., Rymer, J., Brammer, M., Giampietro, V., Stahl, D., Maki, P.M. and Murphy, D.M. (2009) The interactive effect of the cholinergic system and acute ovarian suppression on the brain: an fMRI study. Horm Behav., 55(1), 41-9.
(20) Walshe, M., Rifkin, L., Rooney, M., Healy, E., Stahl, D., Wyatt, J., Murray, R.M. and Allin, M. (2008) Psychiatric Disorder in young adults born very preterm: role of family history. European Psychiatry, 23(7), 527-531
(19) Fraser, O., Stahl, D. & Aureli, F (2008) Stress reduction through consolation in
chimpanzees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105(25), 8557-8562.
(18) Lopez, C., Tchanturia, K., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (2008) Central Coherence in Eating Disorders: A Systematic Review. Psychological Medicine, 38(10), 1993-1404.
(17) Lopez, C., Tchanturia, K., Stahl, D. and Treasure, J. (2008) Central Coherence in Women with Bulimia Nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders 41, 340-347.
(16) Zihlman A. L, Stahl, D. and Boesch, C. (2008) Morphological variation in adult chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) of the Tai National Park, Cote d’Ivoire. J Physical Anthropology 135, 34–41.
(15) Lopez, C., Tchanturia, K., Stahl, D. Booth, R., Holliday, J. and Treasure, J. (2008) An Examination of the Concept of Central Coherence in Women with Anorexia Nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 41:143–152
(14) Winkley, K., Ismail, K., Stahl, D., Chalder, T. and Edmonds, M. (2007) Risk factors associated with adverse outcomes in a population-based prospective cohort study of people with their first diabetic foot ulcer. Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications 21(6), 341-349.
(13) Striano, T., Stahl, D. and Cleveland, A. (2009). Taking a closer look at social and cognitive skills: A weekly longitudinal assessment between 7 and 10 months of age. European Journal of Developmental Psychology. 99(5,) 567-591.
(12) Walshe, M., Taylor, M., Schulze, K., Bramon, E., Frangou, S., Stahl, D., Kravariti,E., Daly, E., Fearon, P., Murray, R. M. and McDonald, C. (2007) Familial liability to schizophrenia and premorbid adjustment . The British Journal of Psychiatry, 191: 260-261
(11) Ismail, K, Winkley, K, Stahl, D, Chalder, T. and Edmonds, M (2007) A cohort study of people with diabetes and their first foot ulcer: the role of depression on mortality. Diabetes Care 30(6):1473-9. E
(10) Roberts, M., Tchanturia, K., Stahl, D. Southgate, L. and Treasure, J. (2007) A systematic review and meta-analysis of set-shifting ability in eating disorders. Psychological Medicine 37, 1075–1084.
(9) Striano, T., Stahl, D., Cleveland, A. and Hoehl, S. (2007). Sensitivity to triadic attention between 6 weeks and 3 months of age. Infant Behavior and Development, 30 (3), 529-534.
(8) Striano, T., Henning, A. and Stahl, D. (2006): Sensitivity to interpersonal timing at 3 and 6 months of age. Interaction Studies 7(2), 251–271.
2005 and before
(7) Striano, T. and Stahl, D. (2005): Sensitivity to triadic attention in early infancy. Developmental Science(4), 333-343.
(6) Striano, T., Henning, A. and Stahl, D. (2005). Sensitivity to social contingencies between 1 and 3 months of age. Developmental Science 8, 509-519.
(5) Manson, J. H., Perry, S. and Stahl, D. (2005) Relationship qualities and reconciliation
in wild white-faced Capuchins (Cebus capucinus)”. American Journal of Primatology 65(3), 205-219
(4) Tomasello, M. and Stahl, D. (2004): Sampling children’s spontaneous speech: How much is enough? Journal of Child Language 31, 101-121.
(3) Stahl, D. and Kaumanns, W. (2003): Male influence on female feeding success in captive sooty mangabeys (Cercocebus torquatus atys). Primates 44, p. 203-216.
(2) Stahl, D., Herrmann, F. and Kaumanns, W. (2001): Group formation of a captive all-male group of Lion-tailed macaques (Macaca silenus) Primate Report 59, p. 93-108.
(1) Stahl, D. and Kaumanns, W. (1999) Female dominance hierarchies in captive sooty mangabeys (Cercocebus torquatus atys). Primate Report 55, p. 39 – 52.
(T8) Quirk, A., Smith, S.C., Hamilton, S., Lamping, D.L., Lelliott, P. , Stahl, D., Pinfold, V. and Andiappan, M. (2008) Development and Validation of the Carer Well-Being and Support (CWS) Questionnaire. Final Report to National Co-ordinating Centre for the National Institute for Health Research Service Delivery and Organisation Programme (NCCSDO) July, 2008: SDO/144/2006
(T7) Burt, M. L. and Stahl, D. (2001) Minke whale abundance estimation from the 1998/99 IWC-SOWER Antarctic Cruise in Area IV. Paper SC/53/IA3 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, July 2001, London.
(T6) Stahl, D. and Borchers, D. L. (2001) An exploratory investigation of the ability of spatial models to extrapolate minke whale density into unsurveyed regions. Paper SC/53/IA29 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, July 2001, London.
(T5) Stahl, D., Burt M. L. and Borchers D.L. (2001) Spatial modeling of pup abundance and distribution of Northwest Atlantic Harp Seals. Technical report for Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Newfoundland, Canada.
(T4) Burt, M. L. and Stahl, D. (2000) Minke whale abundance estimation from the 1997/98 IWC-SOWER Antarctic Cruise in Area II. Paper SC/52/IA13 presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, June 2000, Adelaide.
(T3) Clarke, L, Stahl, D. and Simmonds, J. (2000). Modeling herring distributions in space and time. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea CM2000/K:09: 1-6.
(T2) Burt, M. L., Stahl, D., Borchers, D. L., Hedley, S. L., Reilly, S. B: and Theile, D. (2000) Investigating relationships between whale distribution, krill distribution and environmental variables on the 1996 BROKE survey, IWC document presented to the International Whaling Commission Scientific Committee, July 2000, London.
(T1) Stahl, D. (1999): Probit Analyses: Theory and its application with SAS (unpublished manual for the Department of Insectvirology, SLFA, Neustadt, Germany).
Stahl, D. (2009) Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata, second edition” Statistical Methods in Medical Research 18: 111–113.
Everitt, B., Landau, S., Leese, M. and Stahl, D. (to appear 2011) Cluster Analysis 5th completely revised edition. Wiley.
(BC3) Stahl, D. and Leese, M. (2010) Research Methods and Statistics. In: Psychiatry - An Evidence-Based Text for the MRCPsych Students. Hodder Arnold
(BC2) Boesch C., Gone Bi, Z., Anderson, D. and Stahl, D. (2006) Food choice in Taï chimpanzees: Are cultural differences present? In: G. Hohmann, M. Robbins and C. Boesch (Eds.) Feeding ecology of apes, humans and other primates", Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
(BC1) Kaumanns, W, Hampe, K, Schwitzer, C. and Stahl, D. (2000) Primate nutrition: Towards an integrated approach. In: J. Nijboer, J.-M. Hatt, W. Kaumanns, A. Beijnen, U. Gansloßer (Eds.): Zoo Animal Nutrition, p. 91-106, Filander Verlag, Fürth.
last updated: Wednesday, June 16, 2010