Professor Amanda J Ramirez BSc, MB BS, MRC Psych, MD, FRC Psych
Director, Promoting Early Presentation Group, King's College Lon
National Clinical Lead for Cancer Patient Information, National Cancer Action Team
Director of Informed Choice about Cancer Screening, King's Health Partners
|contact this person|
|tel||0207 848 6216|
|fax||0207 848 6230|
|address||King's College London Promoting Early Presentation Group|
9th Floor Capital House
42 Weston Street
|location||Capital House, Guys Campus|
|also||KCL Promoting Early Presentation Group|
Amanda qualified as doctor in 1982. She went on to train as a psychiatrist and over the past twenty one years has specialised in Liaison Psychiatry.
• In 1997 she was appointed as the Professor of Liaison Psychiatry within King’s College London.
• She directs the King’s College London Promoting Early Presentation Group. Her research focuses on improving survival rates in cancer through research leading to earlier diagnosis
• She is a co-applicant for the Department of Health Policy Research Unit on Cancer
Awareness, Screening and Early Diagnosis.
• She co-leads the NCRI COMPASS Research Collaborative to undertake research into supportive cancer care which is directly relevant to the NHS. The Collaborative involves training young researchers in the field and oversight of a small grant capacity building scheme and includes Principal Investigators from KCL, Edinburgh and Leeds Universities.
• She is a member of the Advisory Committees for breast, bowel and cervical cancer screening
• The International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership aims to benchmark cancer survival rates across countries and identify and compare root causes. She co-chairs the work to examine international comparisons of cancer awareness and beliefs.
• Building on her research work, she advises the DH on policy development in promoting early presentation with symptomatic cancer, as part of the National Awareness and Early Diagnosis Initiative.
As part of her NHS commitment, she is a national clinical lead for supportive cancer care within the National Cancer Action Team. Following her appointment by the National Cancer Director in 2001 she has:
• Co-authored the NICE guidance on Supportive and Palliative Care (2004). In particular she wrote the chapters on improving patient information, face-to-face communication and psychological support.
• She has subsequently led the implementation of national policy to improve supportive cancer care services:
• She provides strategic leadership for the development and implementation of national cancer patient information prescriptions, as part of a partnership between the NHS, Macmillan Support and Cancer Research UK.
• With Professors Peter Maguire and Lesley Fallowfield and Dr Susie Wilkinson, she led the development of CONNECTED, the national training programme for senior clinicians in advanced communication skills. She regularly facilitates on the three day courses.
• She provides strategic clinical leadership for the National Cancer Multidisciplinary Team Development Programme.
• She advises the DH and cancer networks on developing psychological support services for cancer based on the four level model she developed as the Director of the Dimbleby Cancer Information and Support Service at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Trust over 10 years.
1. Forbes LJL and Ramirez AJ. Cancer screening advice for the public, by the public. Accepted by Research Fortnightly November 2013
2. Forbes LJL and Ramirez AJ. Communicating about cancer screening. Accepted by Current Oncology Reports November 2013
3. Lim AWW, Forbes LJL, Rosenthal AN, Raju KS, Ramirez AJ. Measuring the nature and duration of symptoms of cervical cancer in young women: developing an interview-based approach. BMC Women’s Health 2013, http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6874/13/45
4. Quiafe SL, Forbes LJ, Ramirez AJ, Brain KE, Simon AE, Wardle J. Recognition of cancer warning signs and anticipated time to help-seeking in a population sample of adults in the UK. British Journal of Cancer advance online publication 31 October 2013; 1-7 doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.684
5. Forster AS, Forbes LJ, Abraham C, Warburton FG, Douglas E, Ramirez A-J. Promoting early presentation of breast cancer: a preliminary evaluation of a written intervention. Chronic Illness 2013; doi 10.1177/1742395313484071
6. Forbes L, Simon AE, Boniface D, Brain KE, Dessaix A, Donnelly C, Haynes K, Hvidberg L, Lagerlund M, Lockwood M, Tishelman C, Vedsted P, Nyre Vigmostad M, Ramirez AJ, Wardle J, Differences in cancer awareness and beliefs between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and the UK (the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership): do they contribute to differences in cancer survival? British Journal of Cancer (2013) 108, 292–300. doi:10.1038/bjc.2012.542
7. Simon A, Forbes L, Boniface D, Warburton F, Brain K, Dessaix A, Donnelly M, Haynes K, Hvidberg L, Lagerlund M, Petermann L, Tishelman C, Vedsted P, Nyre Vigmostad M, Wardle J, Ramirez AJ. An international measure of awareness and beliefs about cancer: developing and testing of the ABC. BMJ Open 2012;2:e001758 doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001758
8. Forbes LJL, Forster AS, Dodd R, Tucker L, Laming R, Sellars S, Patnick J, Ramirez AJ.
Promoting early presentation of breast cancer in older women: implementing an evidence-based intervention in routine clinical practice. Journal of Cancer Epidemiology 2012; Article ID 835167; doi:10.1155/2012/835167
9. Burgess C, Teasdale E, Omar L, Tucker L, Ramirez AJ. Training radiographers to deliver an intervention to promote early presentation of breast cancer. Radiography 2012; 18: 232-237 doi:10.1016/j.radi.2012.06.003
10. Taylor C, Atkins L, Richardson A, Tarrant R, Ramirez AJ. Measuring the quality of MDT working: an observational approach. BMC Cancer 2012; 202(12) doi:10.1186/1471-2407-12-202
11. Saini KS, Taylor C, Ramirez AJ, Palmieri C, Gunnarsson U, Schmoll HJ, Dolci S, Ghenne C, Metzger-Filho O, Skrzypski M, Paesmans M, Ameye L, Piccart M, Azambuja E. Role of the multidisciplinary team in breast cancer management: results from a large international survey involving 39 countries. Annals of Oncology 2012; 23(4): 853-59
12. Beral V, Alexander M, Duffy S, Ellis IO, Given-Wilson R, Holmberg L, Moss SM, Ramirez AJ, Reed MWR, Rubin C, Whelehan P, Wilson R, Young KC. The number of women who would need to be screened regularly by mammography to prevent one death from breast cancer. Journal of Medical Screening 2011; 18: 210–212.
13. Forbes LJL, Atkins L, Thurnham A, Layburn J, Haste F, Ramirez AJ. Breast cancer awareness and barriers to symptomatic presentation among women from different ethnic groups in East London. British Journal of Cancer 2011; 105(10):1474-9.
14. Forbes LJL, Linsell L, Atkins L, Burgess CC, Tucker L, Omar L, Ramirez AJ. A promoting early presentation intervention increases breast cancer awareness in older women after two years: a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Cancer 2011; 105 (1): 18–21.
15. Hodges LJ, Walker J, Kleiboer AM, Ramirez AJ, Richardson A, Velikova G, Sharpe M. What is a psychological intervention? A metareview and practical proposal. Psycho-Oncology 2011; 20(5):470–478.
16. Juszczyk D, Simon AE, Waller J, Ramirez AJ, Wardle J. Do the UK public realise that colorectal cancer is a common cancer? Colorectal Disease 2011; 13 (2): 227–228.
17. Linsell L, Forbes LJL, Patnick J, Wardle J, Austoker J, Ramirez AJ. Women’s preferences for delivery of the NHS Breast Screening Programme: a cross sectional survey. Journal of Medical Screening 2010; 17:176-180.
18. Forbes LJL, McNaughton Nicholls C, Linsell L, Graham J, Tompkins C, Ramirez AJ. Involving users in the design of a randomised controlled trial of an intervention to promote early presentation in breast cancer: qualitative study. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2010; 10:110
19. Robb K, Wardle J, Stubbings S, Ramirez A, Austoker J, Macleod U, Hiom S, Waller J. Ethnic disparities in knowledge of cancer screening programmes in the UK. Journal of Medical Screening 2010;17(3): 125-31.
20. Taylor C, Sippitt J, Collins G, McManus C, Richardson A, Dawson J, Richards M, Ramirez A. A pre-post test evaluation of the impact of the PELICAN MDT-TME Development Programme on the working lives of colorectal cancer team members. BMC Health Services Research 2010;10: 187.
21. Linsell L, Forbes LJL, Burgess C, Kapari M, Thurnham A, Ramirez AJ. Validation of a measurement tool to assess awareness of breast cancer. European Journal of Cancer 2010;46(8): 1374-81.
22. Taylor C, Munro AJ, Glynne-Jones R, Griffith C, Trevatt P, Richards M, Ramirez AJ. Multidisciplinary team working in cancer: what is the evidence? BMJ 2010;340: c951.
23. Omar L, Burgess CC, Tucker LD, Whelehan P, Ramirez AJ. Can radiographers be trained to deliver an intervention to raise breast cancer awareness, and thereby promote early presentation of breast cancer, in older women? Radiography 2010;16(2): 101-107.
24. Taylor C, Ramirez AJ. Can we reduce burnout amongst cancer health professionals? European Journal of Cancer 2010; 46: 2668 –2670.
25. Robb K, Stubbings S, Ramirez A, Macleod U, Austoker J, Waller J, Hiom S, Wardle J. Public awareness of cancer in Britain: a population-based survey of adults. British Journal of Cancer 2009;101: S18-S23.
26. Austoker J, Bankhead C, Forbes LJL, Atkins L, Martin F, Robb K, Wardle J, Ramirez AJ. Interventions to promote cancer awareness and early presentation: systematic review. British Journal of Cancer 2009; 101: S31-S39.
27. Waller J, Robb K, Stubbings S, Ramirez A, Macleod U, Austoker J, Hiom S, Wardle J. Awareness of cancer symptoms and anticipated help seeking among ethnic minority groups in England. British Journal of Cancer 2009;101: S24-S30.
28. Stubbings S, Robb K, Waller J, Ramirez A, Austoker J, Macleod U, Hiom S, Wardle J. Development of a measurement tool to assess public awareness of cancer. British Journal of Cancer 2009;101: S13-S17.
29. Macleod U, Mitchell ED, Burgess C, Macdonald S, Ramirez AJ. Risk factors for delayed presentation and referral of symptomatic cancer: evidence for common cancers. British Journal of Cancer 2009; 101:S92-S101.
30. Linsell L, Forbes LJL, Kapari M, Burgess C, Omar L, Tucker T, Ramirez AJ. A randomised controlled trial of an intervention to promote early presentation of breast cancer in older women: effect on breast cancer awareness. British Journal of Cancer 2009;101: S40-S48.
31. Burgess CC, Linsell L, Kapari M, Omar L, Michell M, Whelehan P, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. Promoting early presentation of breast cancer by older women: A preliminary evaluation of a one-to-one health professional-delivered intervention. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2009;67: 377-387.
32. Constantinidou A, Afuwape SA, Linsell L, Hung T, Acland K, Healy C, Ramirez AJ, Harries M. Informational needs of patients with melanoma and their views on the utility of investigative tests. International Journal of Clinical Practice 2009;63(11): 1595-1600.
33. Linsell L, Burgess CC, Ramirez AJ. Breast cancer awareness among older women. British Journal of Cancer 2008;99: 1221-1225.
34. Burgess C, Bish AM, Hunter MS, Salkovskis P, Michell M, Whelehan P, Ramirez AJ. Promoting early presentation of breast cancer: development of a psycho-educational intervention. Chronic Illness 2008; 4: 13-27.
35. Wilkinson S, Love S, Westcombe A, Gambles M, Burgess C, Cargill A, Young T, Maher J, Ramirez AJ. Effectiveness of aromatherapy massage in the management of anxiety and depression in patients with cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2007;25: 532-539.
36. Taylor, C, Graham J, Potts HWW, Candy J, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. The impact of hospital consultants’ poor mental health on patient care. British Journal of Psychiatry 2007; 190: 268-269.
37. Burgess C, Potts HWW, Hamed H,Bish AM, Hunter MS, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. Why do older women delay presentation with breast cancer symptoms? Psycho-oncology 2006;15: 962-968.
38. Grunfeld EA, Maher EJ, Browne S, Ward P, Young T, Vivat B, Walker G, Wilson C, Potts HW, Westcombe AM, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. Advanced breast cancer patients’ perceptions of decision making for palliative chemotherapy. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2006;24: 1090-1098.
39. Taylor C, Graham J, Potts HWW, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. Changes in the mental health of UK hospital consultants since the mid 1990s.The Lancet 2005;366: 742-744.
40. Burgess C, Ramirez AJ, Cornelius V, Love S, Graham J, Richards MA. Depression and anxiety in women with early breast cancer: a five year observational cohort study. BMJ 2005;330: 702-5.
41. Bish A, Ramirez AJ, Burgess C, Hunter M. Understanding why women delay in seeking help for breast cancer symptoms. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2005;58: 321-326.
42. Sharpe M, Strong V, Allen K, Rush R, Maguire P, House A, Ramirez AJ, Cull A. Management of major depression in outpatients attending a cancer centre: preliminary evaluation of a multicomponent cancer nurse-delivered intervention. British Journal of Cancer 2004;90: 310-313.
43. Sharpe, M, Strong V, Allen K, Rush R, Postma K, Tulloh A, Maguire P, House A, Ramirez AJ, Cull A. Major depression in outpatients attending a regional cancer centre: screening and unmet treatment needs. British Journal of Cancer 2004;90: 314-320.
44. Strong V, Sharpe M, Cull A, Maguire P, House A, Ramirez AJ. Can oncology nurses treat depression? Journal of Advanced Nursing 2004; 46: 542-548.
45. Hunter M, Grunfeld E, Mittal S, Sikka P, Ramirez AJ, Fentiman IS, Hamed H. Menopausal symptoms in women with breast cancer. Psycho-oncology 2004; 13: 769-778.
46. Grunfeld EA, Hunter MS, Ramirez AJ. Perceptions of breast cancer across the lifespan. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2003;54: 141-146.
47. Hunter MS, Grunfeld EA, Ramirez AJ, Richards M. Help-seeking intentions for breast cancer symptoms: a comparison of the self-regulation model and the theory of planned behaviour. British Journal of Health Psychology 2003;8: 319-333.
48. Westcombe AM, Gambles MA, Young T, Love SB, Lucey RA, Barnes K, Cubbin S, Fellowes D, Ramirez AJ, Maher EJ, Wilkinson SM. Learning the hard way. Setting up an RCT of aromatherapy massage for cancer patients. Palliative Medicine 2003;17: 300-307.
49. Graham J, Potts HWW, Ramirez AJ. Stress and burnout in doctors (Letter). Lancet 2002;360: 975-1976.
50. Bish A, Sutton S, Jacobs C, Levene S, Ramirez AJ, Hodgson S. No news is (not necessarily) good news: impact of preliminary results from BRCA1 mutation searches. Genetics in Medicine 2002;4: 353-358.
51. Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Love SB . Stress and breast cancer (Letter). BMJ 2002;325: 548.
52. Bish A, Sutton S, Jacobs C, Levene S, Ramirez AJ, Hodgson S. Changes in psychological distress after cancer genetic counselling: a comparison of affected and unaffected women. British Journal of Cancer 2002;86: 43-50.
53. Graham J, Ramirez AJ. Improving the working lives of cancer clinicians. European Journal of Cancer Care 2002;11: 188-192.
54. Burgess CC, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Potts H. Does the method of detection of breast cancer affect subsequent psychiatric morbidity? European Journal of Cancer 2002;38: 1622-1625.
55. Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Love SB, Richards MA, Burgess CC. Stressful life experiences and risk of relapse of breast cancer: observational cohort study. BMJ 2002;324: 1420-1422
56. Cassar S, Hodgkiss AD, Ramirez AJ, Williams D. Mental health presentation to an inner city accident and emergency department. Psychiatric Bulletin 2002;26: 134-136.
57. Grunfeld EA, Ramirez AJ, Hunter MS . Women’s knowledge and beliefs about breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer 2002;86: 1373-1378.
58. Burgess CC; Hunter M; Ramirez AJ. Qualitative study of delay among women reporting symptoms of breast cancer. British Journal of General Practice 2001;51: 967-971.
59. Boulton M, Boudioni M, Mossman J, Moynihan C, Heydon G Ramirez AJ. Dividing the desolation’ clients views on the benefits of a cancer counselling service. Psycho-oncology 2001;10: 124-136.
60. Grunfeld EA, Ramirez AJ, Maher EJ, Peach D, Young T, Albery IP, Richards MA. Chemotherapy for advanced breast cancer: what influences oncologists’ decision-making. British Journal of Cancer 2001;84: 1172-1178.
61. Graham J, Albery IP, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA. How hospital consultants cope with stress at work: implications for their mental health. Stress and health 2001;17: 85-89.
62. Boudioni M, Mossman M, Boulton M, Ramirez AJ, Moynihan C, Leydon G. An evaluation of a cancer counselling service. European Journal of Cancer Care 2000;9: 212
63. Curran D, Aaronson N, Standaert B, Molenberghs G, Therasse P, Ramirez AJ, Koopmanschap M, Erder H, Piccart M. Summary measures and statistics in the analysis of quality of life data: an example from an EORTC-NCIC-SAKK locally advanced breast cancer study. European Journal of Cancer 2000;36: 834-844.
64. Burgess CC, Ramirez AJ, Smith P, Richards MA. Do adverse life events and mood disorders influence delayed presentation of breast cancer? Journal of Pscyhosomatic Research 2000;48: 171-175.
65. Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Field A, Richards MA. Job stress and satisfaction among clinical radiologists. Clinical Radiology 2000;55: 182-185.
66. Richards MA, Sainsbury JRC, Ramirez AJ, Westcombe AM, Howard RA. Delay in diagnosis in breast cancer (letter). Lancet 1999;353: 2155.
67. Ramirez AJ, Westcombe AM, Burgess CC, Sutton S, Littlejohns P, Richards MA. Factors predicting delayed presentation of symptomatic breast cancer: a systematic review. Lancet 1999;353: 1127-1131.
68. Richards MA, Ramirez AJ,Westcombe AM, Love S, Littlejohns J. The influence of delay on survival in patients with breast cancer: a systematic review. Lancet 1999;353: 1119-1126.
69. Richards MA, Smith P, Ramirez AJ, Fentiman IS, Rubens RD. The influence on survival of delay in the presentation and treatment of symptomatic breast Cancer. British Journal of Cancer 1999;79: 858-864.
70. Ramirez AJ, Towlson KE, Leaning MS, Richards MA, Rubens RD. Do patients with advanced breast cancer benefit from chemotherapy? British Journal of Cancer 1998;78: 1488-1494.
71. Graham J, Ramirez AJ. Surgical stress - the psychological cost of a surgical career. Surgery 1998;16: i-ii
72. Burgess CC, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Love SB. Who and what influences delayed presentation in breast cancer? British Journal of Cancer 1998;77: 343-1348.
73. Ramirez AJ, Addington-Hall J, Richards MA. ABC of Palliative Care: The carers. BMJ 1998;316: 208-211.
74. Ramirez AJ. Tackling doctor-patient communication problems. Oncology Forum 1997;1 (4): 3-5.
75. Graham J, Ramirez AJ. Mental health of hospital consultants. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 1997;43: 227-231.
76. Ramirez AJ, House A. ABC of Mental Health: Common mental health problems in hospital. BMJ 1997;314: 1679-1681.
77. Richards MA, Ramirez AJ. Quality of life: the main outcome measure of palliative care. Palliative Medicine 1997;11: 89-92.
78. Cantwell BM, Ramirez AJ. Doctor-patient communication: a study of Junior House Officers. Medical Education 1997;31: 17-21.
79. Rubens RD, Richards MA, Ramirez AJ, Coyne GB, Chaudary MA, Fentiman IS, Tong D, Winter PJ. Large operable breast cancer: the applicability of primary chemotherapy. The Breast 1997;6: 45-50.
80. Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Cull A, Gregory WM, Finlay I, Hoy A, Richards MA. Job stress and satisfaction among palliative physicians. Palliative Medicine 1996;10: 185-194.
81. Ramirez AJ, Graham J, Richards MA, Timothy AR. Stress at work for the Clinical Oncologist. Clinical Oncology 1996;8: 137-39.
82. Ramirez AJ, Graham J, Richards MA, Cull A, Gregory WM. Stress in hospital consultants (Letter). Lancet 1996;347: 1630.
83. Ramirez AJ, Graham J, Richards MA, Cull A, Gregory WM. Mental health of hospital consultants: The effect of stress and satisfaction at work. Lancet 1996;347: 724-728.
84. Graham J, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA. Stress among cancer clinicians. International Monitor 1995;13:83-85.
85. Ramirez AJ. Psychosocial aspects of mastalgia. Breast Update 1995;2: 1.
86. Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Jarrett SR, Fentiman IS. Can mood disorder in women with breast cancer be identified preoperatively? British Journal of Cancer 1995;72: 1509-1512.
87. Ramirez AJ, Graham J, Richards MA, Cull A, Gregory WM, Leaning M, Snashall DC, Timothy A. Burnout and psychiatric disorder among cancer clinicians. British Journal of Cancer 1995;71: 1263-1269.
88. Richards MA, Ramirez AJ, Degner LF, Fallowfield LJ, Maher EJ, Neuberger J. Offering choice of treatments to patients with cancer. European Journal of Cancer 1995;31A: 112-116.
89. Ramirez AJ, Jarrett SR, Hamed H, Smith P, Fentiman IS. Psychosocial adjustment of women with mastalgia. The Breast 1995;4: 48-51.
90. Pinder KL, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Gregory WM. Cognitive responses and psychiatric disorder in women with operable breast cancer. Psycho-Oncology 1994;3: 129-137.
91. Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Rees GJG, O’Neill WM, Wilkinson S, Young J, Earl H. Effective communication in oncology. Journal of Cancer Care 1994;3: 84-93.
92. Twelves CJ, Dobbs NA, Lawrence MA, Ramirez AJ, Summerhaze M, Richards MA, Towlson KE, RD Rubens. Iododoxorubicin in advanced breast cancer: a phase II evaluation of clinical activity and quality of life. British Journal of Cancer 1994;69: 726-731.
93. Dobbs NA, Twelves CJ, Ramirez AJ, Towlson KE, Gregory WM, Richards MA. Patient acceptability and practical implications of pharmacokinetic studies in patients with advanced cancer. European Journal of Cancer 1993;29A: 1107-1711.
94. Pinder KL, Ramirez AJ, Black ME, Richards MA, Gregory WM, Rubens RD. Psychiatric disorder in patients with advanced breast cancer: prevalence and associated factors. European Journal of Cancer 1993;29A: 524-527.
95. Fraser SCA, Ramirez AJ, Ebbs SR, Fallowfield LJ, Dobbs HJ, Richards MA, Bates T, Baum M. A daily diary card for quality of life measurement in advanced breast cancer trials. British Journal of Cancer 1993;67: 341-346.
96. Jarrett SR, Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Weinman J. Measuring coping in breast cancer. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 1992;36(6): 539-602.
97. Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Gregory WM, Craig TJK, Watson JP, Fentiman IS, Rubens RD. Life events and breast cancer prognosis (Letter). BMJ 1992;304: 1632.
98. Richards MA, Hopwood P, Ramirez AJ, Twelves CJ, Ferguson J, Gregory WM, Swindell R, Scrivener W, Miller J, Howell A, Rubens RD. Doxorubicin in advanced breast cancer: influence of schedule on response, survival and quality of life. European Journal of Cancer 1992;28A: 1023-1028.
99. Rubens RD, Towlson KE, Ramirez AJ, Coltart S, Slevin ML, Terrell C, Timothy AR. Appropriate chemotherapy for palliating advanced cancer. BMJ 1992; 304: 35-40.
100. Ramirez AJ. Life events and breast cancer. Royal Society of Medicine Current Medical Literature 1991;4: 239-242.
101. Ramirez AJ, Bogdanovitch M, Jasovic Gasic M. Psychosocial adjustment to cancer: cultural considerations. European Journal of Psychiatry 1991;5: 9-18.
102. Ramirez AJ, Richards MA, Gregory WM, Craig TKJ. Psychological correlates of hormone receptor status in breast cancer (Letter). Lancet 1990;335: 1408.
103. Jasovic-Gasic MM, Ramirez AJ, Bogdanovitch MP, Watson JP. Some dilemmas that arose during the construction of the protocol for the joint research project "Psychosocial adjustment to breast cancer and its treatment". Psychiatrica Danubina 1990;2: 203-212.
104. Ramirez AJ. Life events as a risk factor for recurrence of cancer. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 1990; Conference Supplement: 14-16.
105. Ramirez AJ, Craig TK, Watson JP, Fentiman IS, North WRS, Rubens RD. Stress and relapse of breast cancer. BMJ 1989;298: 291-293.
106. Ramirez AJ, Craig TK, Watson JP, Fentiman IS, Richards MA, North WRS, Rubens RD. Stress and relapse of Breast Cancer (Letter). BMJ 1989;298: 962-963.
107. Ramirez AJ, Craig TK, Watson JP, Fentiman IS, Richards MA, North WRS, Rubens RD. Stress and relapse of breast cancer (Letter). BMJ 1989;298: 1032.
108. Ramirez AJ. Liaison psychiatry in a breast cancer unit. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 1989;82: 15 17.
1. Forbes LJL, Ramirez AJ. Delayed presentation of breast cancer in older women. In: Reed M, Audisio R (eds.) Management of Breast Cancer in Older Women. Springer-Verlag London Limited; 2010. p333-41.
2. Jamieson L, Teasdale E, Richardson A, Ramirez A. Stress in professional caregivers. In: Hanks G, Cherny N, Christakis N, Fallon M, Kaasa S, Portenoy R (eds.) Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine. 4th ed. Oxford University Press; 2009. p1445-1452
3. Ramirez AJ, House A. Common mental health problems in hospital. In: Davis T, Craig T (eds.) ABC of Mental Health. Secon, Revised ed. BMJ Books, Blackwell Publishing; 2009.
4. Addington-Hall J, Ramirez AJ. The Carers. In: Fallon M, Hanks G (eds.) ABC of Palliative Care. 2nd ed. BMJ Books, Blackwell Publishing; 2006.
5. Hodgkiss AD, Ramirez AJ. Mental health of the NHS medical workforce. In: Peveler R, Feldman E, Friedman T (eds.) Liaison Psychiatry: Planning Services for Specialist Settings. Gaskell Press; 2000.
6. Ramirez AJ, Jarrett SR, Hamed H, Smith P, Fentiman IS. Psychosocial distress associated with severe mastalgia. In: Mansel RE (ed.) Recent developments in the study of benign breast disease. Parthenon Publishing; 1993. p109-116.
7. Watson M, Ramirez AJ. Psychological factors in cancer prognosis. In: Cooper C, Watson M, Wiley J (eds.) Cancer and Stress; 1991. p47-71.
8. Ramirez AJ. Psychological strategies in patient care. In: Fentiman IS, Dunitz M (eds.) Detection and Treatment of Early Breast Cancer; 1990. p140-153.
9. Ramirez AJ. Life events and cancer: conceptual and methodological issues. In: Watson M, Greer S, Thomas C (eds.) Psychosocial Oncology. Pergamon Press, Oxford; 1988. p53-60
1. Informed Choice about Cancer Screening. Approach to developing information about NHS Cancer Screening Programmes. King’s Health Partners, December 2012 http://www.informedchoiceaboutcancerscreening.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Approach-to-informed-choice-about-cancer-screening.pdf
2. Informed Choice about Cancer Screening. Information about NHS Cancer Screening Programme Consultation Report. King’s Health Partners, December 2012 http://www.informedchoiceaboutcancerscreening.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Report-of-consultation-on-information-about-cancer-screening-programmes-13th-December-2012_ls.pdf
3. Informed Choice about Cancer Screening, Kaushal AK, Ramirez AJ, Forbes JL. ’Have Your Say’ on information about NHS Cancer Screening Programmes. King’s Health Partners, April 2013. http://www.informedchoiceaboutcancerscreening.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/HYS-report-for-the-website-220412-akv41.pdf
4. NHS National Cancer Action Team. Connected Course Manual for Facilitators. National Advanced Communication Skills Training Programme. Version 6 September 2010. http://ncat.nhs.uk/our-work/improvement/connected-advanced-communication-skills-training#
5. NHS National Cancer Action Team. The Characteristics of an Effective Multidisciplinary Team (MDT). February 2010 http://ncat.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/work-docs/NCATMDTCharacteristics.pdf
6. NHS National Cancer Action Team. Multidisciplinary team members’ views about MDT working: Results from a survey commissioned by the National Cancer Action Team, Summary Report. September 2009. http://ncat.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/work-docs/091001-NCAT-MDT_Survey_Analysis.pdf
7. NHS National Cancer Action Team. Multidisciplinary team members’ views about MDT working: Results from a survey commissioned by the National Cancer Action Team, Analysis Report. September 2009. http://ncat.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/work-docs/091001-NCAT-MDT_Survey_Analysis_Full.pdf
8. NHS National Institute for Clinical Excellence. Guidance on Cancer Services: Improving Supportive and Palliative Care for Adults with Cancer. March 2004 http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/csgspmanual.pdf
RESEARCH GRANTS since 2009
1. Nature and duration of cancer symptoms.
Ramirez AJR (Principal Investigator), Forbes LJL (Co-investigator).
Cancer Research UK: 2011-2012 £19,987.
2. International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership Module 2 – analysis of international data. Forbes LJL (Principal Investigator), Ramirez AJR (Co-investigator).
Department of Health: 2011- 2012 £32,500.
3. Policy Research Unit on cancer awareness, screening and early diagnosis
Duffy S (lead applicant), Cuzick J, Sasieni P, Parkin M (QMUL); Ramirez AJ, Forbes LJL (KCL); Raine R, Wardle J, Nazareth I (UCL); Coleman M, Rachet B (LSHTM)
Department of Health: 2011-2016. Total grant: £4,966,810
4. Piloting an intervention to promote early presentation in older women with breast cancer in the NHS Breast Screening Programme
AJ Ramirez,(Principal Investigator), LJL Forbes.
NHS Cancer Screening Programmes: 2010 - 2012: £817,127
5. Ten-minute one-to-one intervention for women attending their final breast screen: reminder development and evaluation.
AJ Ramirez (Principal Investigator), LJL Forbes (Co-investigator).
NHS Cancer Screening Programme: 2010-2012: £50,000.
6. Completing a randomised controlled trial of an intervention to promote early presentation of breast cancer in older women
AJ Ramirez (Principal Investigator), LJL Forbes
Cancer Research UK: 2010-2012 £157,933
7. Evaluating the Breast Cancer Care Train the Trainer: Breast Health Promotion Programme
AJ Ramirez (Principal Investigator), Forbes LJL
Breast Cancer Care: 2010-2011 £30,000
8. Nature and duration of symptoms in young women with cervical cancer in England
AJ Ramirez (Principal Investigator), LJL Forbes
NHS Cancer Screening Programme: 2009-2011 £186,123.
9. NCRI Supportive and Palliative Care Research Collaborative (COMPASS)
AJ Ramirez (Co-Applicant) Sharpe M, Murray S, Richardson A, Selby P, Bennett M, Brown J, Sheikh A, Brown J, Sitzia J, Davies E, Stark D, Fallon M, Velikova G, Higginson I, Hotopf M, Weller D
2006-2011: £2 million
10. Cancer Research UK London Psychosocial Group, Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London
AJ Ramirez (Principal Investigator)
Cancer Research UK: 2004-2009: £4.7 million.
last updated: Monday, November 25, 2013